« Home | Rotterdam » | Europe Itinerary » | Barthelona » | Yeah I know where the Palace is... » | Madrid » | Arrival in Frankfurt » | Ch.. Ch.. Ch.. Changes... or lack of! » | Perth » | ...and so it begins! » 

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 

Amsterdam


So in order to get rid of the hangover created by the free-flowing Grolsch in Rotterdam. We took a short train-ride to Amsterdam - what better place to recover! :) Admittedly, I'm not the biggest fan of the place - I'm not keen on the whole drug culture thing, but behind that and the associated American kids.. the city is beautiful (although a little cold right now! 20E for a long sleeve t-shirt - best 20E i've spent!). Word on the street is that back in time, the government charged land tax according to the width of the house - coupled with the fact that the place is under sea level - this results in heaps of thin, leaning, sinking houses, quite funny!

We did a lot of walking around.. checking the sites... getting lost and run over by bikes, trams, scooters, cars and other pedestrians. Somehow we always ended up in the red-light district! Don't know how that happened! When I get back to Australia I'll have to have a word to the Kings Cross council and get them to implement the whole windows thing! Its the funniest thing seeing these little windows with a chick sitting there looking like a mannequin. You choose the one that tickles your fancy and.. well.. Bob's your uncle (I've heard of course...). One thing is for sure there is plenty of variation! Every nationality, shape size, colour! :)

So in between eating and strolling and burning photos to CDs (I've taken 400-odd already!) we popped into the Van Gogh museum. Once again I was impressed by the art around this place. (and yeah, Mum, Dad, Sim, Kez - I'm starting to tell all the artists apart and appreciate them! :> CULTURE?!?! WHAT!? haha)

Next stop is Ulm, Germany for Australia's second warm-up game. I don't think it will be as intense as the Dutch game (they love their football!) but you never know... Still gives a great opportunity to get on it and cause trouble in a foreign land!

Ta for all your emails and texts!! Stay safe!!!

About me

  • I'm Paul
  • From Chicago, IL, United States
  • -Un-Employed bum.. On a -six month- two week journey to watch the Socceroos win the WC...
My profile

Text or Email Me

  • MOBILE: +61 417 754 854 (Sydney, Australia)
  • EMAIL: pjfmeyer@yahoo.com.au
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates