« Home | Happy Birthday Dad! » | Aussie Tragedies! » | The Farm » | Boobs! » | Chicago Fire » | Sin City » | Take Me Out To The Ball Game » | Outer Banks » | Out of Office » | Chicago Pub Crawl » 

Monday, September 11, 2006 

Homesick

After four-and-a-bit months of travelling I've been getting more and more homesick... missing the family, missing the Australian accent, missing being understood!! (these yanks can NOT understand my accent!), missing Aussie Rules, missing cricket, missing the food, missing real beer.... Now I have about two weeks left of the journey, one week in the US and one in Canada until I'm back in Sydney.


So this weekend in an effort to cure myself I made meat pies and headed down to the Globe Pub in Chicago to watch the Dockers play Adelaide in their second final ever! The day started with a trip to treasure island to pick up some meat and stuff, then back to the kitchen to put it all together! The result was a very yummy meat pie!... of which I ate two and was extremely full and satisfied and ready to hit the pub to watch the Dockers!


We made it to the pub about 11pm before the game started live at midnight. This pub was also the home pub for the Chicago Aussie Rules team. The team had played a game that arvo so there were still a bunch of Aussies and Aussie-Rules-playing seppo's in the back room. I had a chat to the coach and one of the players who gave me a few tips about getting a work visa (just hang around the country for a while, work for cash and eventually someone will give you a job - oh and don't worry too much about that 90-day thing) and asked if I wanted to play a game down in Nashville on the weekend! :)

Unfortunately the pub closed at 2am (end of the third quarter) with the Dockers up by four points! We rushed home to catch the last of the game on www.afl.com.au... unfortunately again, the Dockers failed to score into the wind and were overrun by the Crows and now face Melbourne in the Semi's. Still plenty of chance to make the GF! Go the Dockers!!!!


After a massive weekend (I want a quiet/relaxing weekend, but that didn't happen - went to a German-American festival on Saturday night, beer steins, bratwurst and leiderhosen) I am definately looking for a more quiet week before Canada (although it is my last week in the states so I do need to cross off the last of my to-do list).


PS - I added some photos to some of my earlier posts too.

About me

  • I'm Paul
  • From Chicago, IL, United States
  • -Un-Employed bum.. On a -six month- two week journey to watch the Socceroos win the WC...
My profile

Text or Email Me

  • MOBILE: +61 417 754 854 (Sydney, Australia)
  • EMAIL: pjfmeyer@yahoo.com.au
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates